Wednesday, March 22, 2017

FAMILY LIFE at Desert Springs - a place where we can share the heart of our church family; prayers, praises and important announcements.  Be sure to check-in often to see what is happening. If you have a prayer request or praise, please submit by contacting me, Laura Keener, Frontline Director at Desert Springs....760-568-3646 or lkeener@desertspringsfamily.org.



 For we are God’s handiwork, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do.


Backpack. Check. Lunchbox. Check. Hat and gloves. Well, hat — good enough. I pulled out of the driveway in the still cold car and headed towards my son’s school.

We live on the edge of town so we enjoy all sorts of wildlife while still being just a few minutes away from most conveniences. As we wound our way down the hill we came upon a flock of wild turkeys casually crossing the road. There were around 25 of them, all ages and sizes, and I had no other choice but to stop the car to allow them to pass.

My son and I laughed at the sheer mass of them as we observed their awkwardness. Eventually, all of them crossed the road except for one small turkey that finally looked up and realized he wasn’t with his clan. Slowly, he began to meander toward the rest of the group. He did not take the direct route but instead, he went this way and that, pecking at the road, seemingly not in any kind of hurry. It was at that moment I realized that we had better get moving or my son would be late for school.

Without thinking I impatiently called out, “Hey, Turkey, God gave you wings, now use them!”

I paused for a moment as I heard my own words echo in my head. I had rarely seen a turkey fly, except when they were chased by one of my black labs or getting ready to roost in our trees. They can fly, in fact they can soar for short bursts up to 55 mph, but their tendency is to stay on the ground.

God gave them wings; He equipped them with what they need. But they don’t use them unless they have to.

Eventually, the little guy crossed the road but I found myself wondering what has God equipped me with that I am choosing not to use (or only using if I absolutely have to). So often I act just like that turkey: pecking away at one thing, distracted by another, and not feeling any real urgency to move forward.

I take the route that seems safest or most comfortable rather than trusting God to help me soar in the direction that He has prepared for me.

Even though He has already equipped me with gifts and talents (Romans 12:6-8), with His Spirit (2 Corinthians 5:5), and through His Word (2 Timothy 3:16-17), sometimes I still hesitate, afraid to take a risk. Perhaps God used that awkward turkey on a cold Midwest morning to remind me of what I already have.

Maybe you find yourself struggling with purpose or fearful to take a step in the direction that you feel God nudging you towards. Remember that God has already equipped you to serve Him wherever you are right now.

He will give you the strength to use all you have been given, so get ready to fly!

Blog by Elizabeth Curry 

PRAYING FOR OUR BROTHERS & SISTERS IN CHRIST


Comfort, Health, Wisdom, Strength - 

"And pray in the spirit on all occasions with all kinds of prayers and requests. With this in mind, be alert and always keep on praying for all the saints." Ephesians 6:18


Lucy Brooks * Rick Diedrich *Dorothy Ferro* Jay & Vernessa Hartland* Alan Hurst * Mary Ireland * Chevelle Johnson * Fred Keener * Jordan Muchow * Neil Riordan * Walter & Joan Rohm * Violet O'Leary *Serena Williams son-in-law Steven*

No comments:

Post a Comment